Articles of Conduct
For The Order of MDP & Proud Beauties
The Order of Modern Day Pirates International
Copyright C 2017 Billy D. Robertson III
Copyright C 2017 – The Order of Modern Day Pirates International
1. Mission Statement Page 3
2. Why Organize Page 3
3. The Oath Page 3
4. Organization Page 4
A. Vanguard Page 4
B. The Order Page 5
C. The HELM Page 5
5. Order Members Page 5
A. Core of the Order Page 5
B. Crews Page 7
C. Dues Page 8
D. Tattoos Page 9
E. Walking the Plank Page 9
F. Dress Code & Apparel Page 10
G. Perspective members/Probation/Vetting Page 11
H. Honor and Adventure shields Page 12
I. Retiring Page 13
6. Adventure Specific Regulations Page 13
7. Pirate Chain of Command Page 14
8. MDP Order Collective Property Page 16
9. In Closing Page 16
1. MISSION STATEMENT
Modern Day Pirates is an Ocean; it is up to you how deep you'll swim. We share in making memories, promoting our lifestyle of adventure and comradery while giving back to the local and global communities. For now, when people ask just what we are, the simplest answer is: an adventure society , a collection of thrill-seekers & free thinkers.
1.1 Who are the Order members
We are not outlaws, though we have members from just about every walk of life a great many of our members are: retired and active: Law enforcement, military , Fire & first re-sponders . we want people to be happy when Order members and vanguard arrives to and event or place of business. We will be positive role models and leaders in our respective communities. When starting a new crew, the President, alongside other members, will let other organizations; including law enforcement in their area know about us, what we are and what we stand for.
2. WHY ORGANIZE
A. We, as a vetted society, can have a global network of brothers and sisters to interact with from all aspects of life for business and pleasure.
B. To present this idea of unity and adventure to the rest of the world, helping others become self aware , promote thriving not just surviving; getting people off their couch and out of their cubicles.
C. To introduce people, to be a mentor, share our interests and adventures and to teach them the skills needed to get the maximum enjoyment from any given activity.... Paintball motorcycles, hunting, fishing, etc.
D. To organize and/or participate in charity functions for the betterment of society.
E. Local and regional crews will be comprised of members from all walks of life and interests. We will use our crossed interests to assist our crews in events. For example: If you ride motorcycles but some of our paintball playing members need help putting on a charity event, you will help them with that event. Vice Versa, when you have a motorcycle event the paintball crew guys will come work your event. No matter your interest, we help in all crew organized events.
F. As we build in Crew numbers, we will be able to reach out to more businesses and build discount packages for our members, making it much more affordable to have our adventures.
3. THE OATH
I swear on my honor, to up hold the values of the Order to hold my fellow crew members in the highest regard. Living the MDP life of adventure, community, charity, self-improvement & mentorship.
Please understand in developing these articles, regulations and philosophies, we have tried to take the best parts from several lifestyles, organizations and cultures. Including: old pirate law, military, motorcycle clubs, Odd Fellows, Free Masons, Boy Scouts and fiction, just to name a few. So some of the wording, phrasing and terminology may seem strange or foreign to some, but long as you grasp the ideas presented, we've achieved our goal!
The MDP Articles of Conduct: Can be added to and corrected at any time during the first calendar year of the articles being put into place by the HELM. Thereafter, the articles will be reviewed annually for updates and correction by April of each new calendar year.
1. Modern Day Pirates - MDP– Men who live the life of adventure.
2. Proud Beauties – Women who live the life of adventure.
3. MDPIProud Beauties are our supporters and friends. They are allowed to wear gear, etc. as long as it does not state any of the following: The Order, Order of Modern Day Pirates, The Order of Modern Day Pirates, or The Order of International Modern Day Pirates. MDPIProud Beauties of the Vanguard will be our recruiting pool; we will treat these people with the same respect we expect to be treated with. If we find that a person participating in MDPIProud Beauties is troublesome, the Order members will be responsible for actions taken to relieve us of the problem. remembering to make the rest of the regional or Helm council aware of the situation at first opportunity.
4. This is an open invitation for folks that want to hangout and support MDP regardless if they wish to pursue The Order and join a crew.
5. MDPIProud Beauties's are allowed to hang out, but they have no official titles, crews or members. They are 100% casuel and they will be asked to respect The Order.
6. Anyone falsely promoting himself or herself as an Order member will be dealt with.
7. MDPIProud Beauties are allowed to attend some Order functions, but only Order members can participate in Order/Crew Meetings I Business.
8. MDPIProud Beauties have no rules or regulations in regards to event and activity participation, If assisted using crew resources, they will need to reimburse the crew.
9. Any MDPIProud Beauties that wish to join The Order must approach an Order member and convince him/her to sponsor their petition for membership. The member cannot in any way require payment, favor or services from the requesting MDP I Proud Beauties for sponsorship. Sponsoring any MDP/Proud Beauty can also be offered by an Order Member. the Sponsor is responsible for any member they have sponsored.
B. The Order : Everyone is welcome, not everyone can stay . The evidence of your value to this organization is in your actions.
1. The Order in General: We will refer to The Order as one of the following: The "O", "The Ship", "The Mistress", MDP, The Order, The Order of MDP, MDP the Order, The Order of Modern Day Pirates, The International Order of MDP, The Order of Modern Day Pirates International, or The International Order of Modern Day Pirates. All the same prefix and suffix apply to MDP Proud Beauties.
2. The Order will be governed at the International level by the HELM Counsel , using the MDP Articles of Conduct. & governed at the local level by Regional Order crew Counsel when involving only local members & business using the Articles of conduct with any additional regulations implemented by the regional crew charter. please see Pirates chain of command section 7 for more information.
5. ORDER MEMBERS
A. Core of the Order
1. Active Order members will be able to perform the needed tasks to promote the MDP Philosophy.
2. All members must have a phone and email address; a Facebook account is also recommended in today's current social media climate, this seems to be our best way of maintaining contact at local and international levels. If an order member wishes to have an MDPCrew.com email it is $80 annually .
3. We have an MDP ORDER INTERNATIONAL FB GROUP/PAGE and a national event page. If/when you become an Order member, you will be added to this page.
4. Remember who and what we are, there is no room for politics or religion! Keep that part of your life to yourself. The Order hopes to provide the sense of family & community you may find in a religious setting devoid of dogma , and the structure we need from minimal government to provide an organized positive impact with out the convolution of politics.
5. MDP Order Goals:
a. Present a positive image of our adventure/thrill-seeker society to the world and help build interest in our charities, passions and pursuits.
b. Grow the Order with people that live by the oath.
c. Organize & support charity events including but not limited to: Habitat for Humanity, volunteer at Veterans homes, volunteer at homeless shelters, food drives, etc.
d. Mentor-ship through nationwide high school leagues, state championships, regional, etc. Order crew to coach , mentor and subsidize the leagues with non profit donations.
6. Order Members will be the friendliest, most approachable and most helpful people wherever/whatever the event we are attending.
7. Members starting in a non-crew area or moving far from a crew with an application can petition for either the chance to start a new crew, wear the standard of their crew they associate with, or a member can go with the Dutchman I Sirens Standard.
8. A member cannot hold office until they have been a member for over 3 years, unless approved by the HELM Council in a special vote.
9. Dual or Multiple associations. Society or club membership: you can be an Order member and still wear gear from as well as adventure, socialize, ride with other club/clubs or be part of other organizations. You can be an Order member and have membership in other organizations.
10. You cannot hold title/office in the Order if you already hold office in other organizations or societies outside of MDP. It will be taken into special consideration if you are a member of another organization trying to take a leadership role in the Regional crew or Helm Council.
11. Members are requested to attend 4 events a year; local, national or international preferably an anniversary event being one of them.
12. Members will be kept in the know though our Facebook page and Email new letters. also take it upon yourself to stay in touch with other members.
13. Self defense & weapons: though we do not condone violence , it is possible there will be times you must defend yourself and/or loved ones. You are allowed to do so as well as wear and/or carry anything legal and/or you are licensed to carry in your perspective city/county/state/country. This is encouraged, but we also encourage training courses and tactful judgement when you exercise your rights. Please consider extended, specialized training/education when practicing your rights.
14. levels of the Order:
Vetted is our first level of of the Order , they have filled out a petition to join, have an Order member sponsor , cleared a back ground check , taken a quiz on the articles of conduct & finally had a phone interview with a Helm Counsel member.
Anchored after one year of membership you can file your petition & fee to be come anchored, you'll need 5 Anchored members to provide a written or video statement affirming you as a trusted member of the Order. Anchored members can wear the Anchor on their right shoulder.
HELM members are the rarest of MDP! If you ever make the HELM you'll be informed, do not ever ask to be HELM!!!!! EVER! HELM members will wear a boat wheel on their left upper shoulder. THE HELM is members of the Order that have shown them selves to be truly living by are Articles of conduct and representing the Organization and our philosophy of Adventure, Charity, Community, Mentor-ship & Self-improvement. this is also from where the governing HELM Counsel are drawn.
B. Regional Crews: these crews have special privilege and commitments , they are to handle Order representation at the local level organizing events as well as participating in other events. they will have the ability to purchase MDP gear as a whole sale account to sell locally to help with the growth of there Crew. provide thay meet the stated requirements. see more info at the link below.
1. Forming a Crew:
a. "Everyone is welcome, not everyone can stay" Structure is as follows.
b. THE HELM Counsel is the governing party for the Order and all it encompasses.
c. Forming a Crew (Juggernaut/founding chapters) will require 4 founding members , can be started with less with a special vote form the Helm Counsel. new petitioning crew will posts administrative fees to the international to cover startup cost. These will be going up as our infrastructure costs increase.
d. A crew charter petition must be provided.
e. There must be a vote from all existing crews before a startup crew will be allowed.
f. Crew council oversees their city/state/province/area, answering directly to the HELM Counsel.
g. Vanguard are under direct jurisdiction of the local crew council, keep your none member friends in check if they are with us they need to act accordingly.
2. there is a list of requirements for new crews in the new crew petition section.
3. Each crew will have its own number, for example, San Diego is #311= 31st state to join the union 31(1) first crew in California under the number. This is how we will number American Crews, with exceptions made when needed, we will leave it to other countries to develop their own numbering system. The main idea behind this number is so people on the outside do not know the numbering system, a secret code if you will. Crews can have multiple Posses, there is no limit to the number of posses in each city, but each posse must be ok'd by the council. For example, the first San Diego posse is called "(Ka)-Bar Hoppers". These posse names can only be used in their perspective cities: there cannot be (Ka)-Bar Hoppers in another city. If you are a member of that crew you can be a member of multiple posses in that crew.
4. When Order Members visit other crew cities they can buy Crew Standards and Posse patches with a special mark on them that they can wear in a different spot on their vest, jacket or just collect them.
5. Crew Standard: each will have a vest/jacket marker showing flags, State, city, country and the crew number, for example this is the San Diego 311 Standard :
6. If you are an Order member but do not have a local crew, you will have the option to wear the Flying Dutchman standard for the men and The Sirens standard for the Ladies.
1. Meetings, events & functions:
a. Crew Council meetings will only consist of Order Members; Vanguard / supporters can attend a location of a meeting if it is also an event/gathering, but cannot partake in the meetings.
b. Crew business will fall to the will of the individual Crew, while still reporting to the HELM Counsel.
c. Crews will hold and attend monthly meetings/ events with each member required to make at least 6 a year.
d. When a mandatory meeting is called, members must be given 3 weeks' notice. We will have an online calendar listing events and meetings. If you are not going to make the meeting a request to be excused must be made in writing, text or email to all Cre Counsel members to decide if there is a valid reason to miss or if disciplinary action is needed (skyping to a mandatory meeting can be arranged if needed and again must be arranged prior to the meeting).
e. Order of business:
1) Roll call
2) Minutes from last meeting
3) Treasurers report
4) Dues and fines collection actions
5) Old business
6) New business
C. Dues (these fees and dues will be effective June 1st ) current rates are on petition submision page.
1. There are two sets of dues; first to MDP International annual dues, second to your local crew provide you have one . The local crew sets their own monthly/annual dues.
2. Annual dues will go up, but whatever you came in at is what you pay until exit, death or retirement.
3. MDP INTERNATIONAL DUES ARE PAID BY 1/15 with no prorating. Individual Individual crew member annual dues will run $52 to MDP International $1 a week unless you use the lifetime one pay option, joint annual dues are$85.00 unless using the one time pay option. The regional crew councils will set their own dues, rates and schedules.
4. Current MDP INTERNATIONAL member petition fees are $73.00 with single member ANNUAL DUES of $52 a year for a total of $125. When petitioning a joint membership with a spouse or significant other option is available at a rate of $115 petition fee and $85.00 a year dues for a total of $200 when applying. We also have a current lifetime one time pay member due of $493.75 that is a savings of $361.25 and a Joint membership One time pay lifetime member ship fee of $784.37 with a savings of $760.63. These fees and dues will go up, but whatever you cost you come is at you'll stay at as long as you’re a member. If you ever elect to leave the Order or are dismissed no Life membership fees will be refunded.
5. Local crew member dues are paid by the 10th of each month. If you fall behind more than 2 months, you face disciplinary action from the council.
1. Anyone can get MDP/Proud Beauties tattoos, but only Order members of at least 3 years can add or make an Order tattoo. unless they are made helm.
2. If a member leaves the crew in poor standing they will be assisted if necessary with the removal of any Order tattoos Possibly even any MDP/Proud Beauties tattoo depending on the level of infraction. any cost associated with assisting in the removal will be expected to be reimbursed to the Organization by the offending member.
E. Walking the Plank
1. Fighting and conflict is very much frowned upon. Any member starting a fight with a fellow crew member or citizen will go before the council and face disciplinary action and fines between $1.00 and a "to be determined" amount, with a strong possibility of dismissal.
2. Any time a member is fined, payment must be made within 2 weeks or risk further disciplinary action.
3. Any member has the right to contest any disciplinary action and fines at a special crew or Helm Counsel tribunal.
4. Criminal activity is not accepted! If you involve the Order in criminal activity you will answer to the Helm Counsel and can expect severe punishment and expulsion.
5. Discrepancies between crew members
a. Fighting is unacceptable!
b. We will conduct ourselves in a civilized manner. If at some time tensions rise between crew and other factions it will go before the local Council or HELM Counsel. If a member(s) of the local council or HELM counsel are involved, then a special committee of 5 will be selected by non-conflicting members of the crews.
c. The Local or HELM Counsel will hear the case and pass judgment. The decision will be upheld without question.
d. Examples of some of the ways we can reach a settlement:
1) First and foremost an amicable resolution and or financial restitution.
2) Spin the wheel: every crew will have a spinning wheel for disciplinary actions the offending member will spin the wheel whatever punishment it lands on the Crew member will succumb to.
3) We do not condone fighting at all but if you do please understand you do it of your own accord.
4) If you choose to fight both members will pay a fine to The Order to be determined by Council.
F. Dress Code & Apparel
1. Dress code: Don't dress like an asshole!
2. Apparel: The Large Order Crest / Patch we will refer to as the Order standard trems like "The CUT" (Vest or Jacket), "Colors" (big back patch).(these are terms easily understood used by motorcycle clubs when referring to their gear. but we perfer not to use these trems as it at times can have a negative impact with some.
3. You are not required to buy or wear order gear; this is optional due to the fact that for one, some people have no interest in wearing such apparel and two, in some states and countries it is a major issue. It's much more important how you act and handle yourself than what you wear. It's also important that even if you do not wear a jacket or vest you're still expected to know what the meaning behind everything we wear is and respect it!
4. Order apparel available for purchase at there is a password to access this gear you'll be provide once your petition is accepted and you go on the account.
5. You can wear your gear anytime you like, but it is not required.
6. Your vest and/or jacket must have at a minimum, your large back Standard (patch), Order rocker, with MDP 3.5" patch, name, crew standard(if your in a crew), Anchor and or Helm wheel if you are either.
7. You are only allowed to hold two large back Standards at any time. You must always be able to account for your Order standards. You and your MDP/Proud Beauties/Order brothers/sisters and your children are the only persons allowed to wear your standards. Disciplinary action will be taken if your standards are found on non-crew members. you can own unlimited Order printed material i..e..: t-shirts ,jerseys, hats & stickers. but you cannot let them leave your control if you retire any of this gear be sure it is destroyed or returned to a crew for archiving.
8. If you leave the Order your Order gear must be returned to the Crew (unless retired). You cannot sell or give away your standards; the only way they can be passed on to family is if they are Order members.
9. Anything you own with "Order logos" can never be worn by a non-order member except your children or spouse and cannot be sold!
10. This is the basic layout for vest and jackets:
a. You can wear memorial patches of nonmembers and patches from other organizations provided you have their permission. The small of the back on a vest and the small of the back and sleeves of jackets are open for you to put personal patches on. Never wear anything hateful or condescending.
b. The front of the vest and jackets are for MDP patches and shields
c. Example pictures of vests:
11. Order members will have full access to Order apparel except rings, pieces of 8, and buckles. you can get a stainless steel ring once Vetted You must be in for at least 3 years for these items in silver, 5 years for gold, and 10 years for black outs (unless you're made a member of the HELM.
12. the challenge coin, if an order member produces a metal challenge coin before you . you most state a loud the Order oath ,if you cannot complete the oath you owe the member a drink of there choosing. this can only happen once per members involved at a given gathering.
G. Perspective / new members
1. The sponsoring Order Member is responsible for the petitioning member(s) they sponsor, you are responsible to teach them how we do things and are responsible for the applicant(s) actions
2. petitioning members read the articles of conduct & Appendix B
3. Fill out your Order member petition & pay your fees (non refundable).
4. clear a background check. be sure you info us of anything that may show up we expect honesty above all.
5. complete the Articles of conduct quiz, this will be sent to you after above criteria is for filled.
6. send in a clear photo of yourself for our member file
7. have a phone interview with a Helm Counsel member.
8. send a Facebook friend request to either Billy D Robertson III , Rachel Robertson or Robert Modica the current gate keepers of the Closed Order page.
9. You can wear any Order apparel as soon as you've been accepted into the order....if you don't pass the vote then you can submit your request to join again within 6 months but no sooner than 60 days at no additional cost .
10. New members will answer directly to their sponsoring member and Counsel.
11. New members will have a probationary period of 3 months in The Order prior to sponsoring any new members. from there they can sponsor 1 new member every 3 months there after, an Anchored member can sponsor a new member every month and helm member have no limit to sponsorship.
12. New crew members can and will be asked to do fucked up shit. They cannot be given tasks that are criminal in nature or may cause them serious harm.
13. with in 3 to 6 weeks of induction to the order you will receive your welcome package it will include your Decree, a MDP or Order member soft good , information cards , stickers and sometimes a special gift.
H. Honor and Adventure Shields
1. Being an Order Member you can earn Shields that displays your interests and accomplishments. These will be worn on the vest or jacket; honor shields down the heart side front and Adventure Shields down the right side front.
2. We are working on artwork for the shields; you can earn a shield by 3 Order members signing off with written or video essay, that you in fact have completed the needed requirements for each shield. Records will be maintained at the local crew and international level.
3. We can vote in additional shields once a year, unless a special vote is called.
for more information on Honor & Adventure shields please see appendix B at the link below
1. If you go inactive and do not pay dues and are not allowed to attend functions with your Order Gear, you can still come wearing MDP/Proud Beauties gear.
2. You can only retire if you've been a member for at least 15 years and with Council/HELM approval; then allowed to keep your Order patches/wears.
3. At any time a member wishes to leave before a 15-year run, and then return to the club, they will start over as a new member. After they have been back for 1year, they get half of their previous time back and after 2 years they get all their time back. Members with 10 years can leave and return at any time with Council/HELM approval.
4. You can quit at any time, in writing via paper or email, but you still must be current with dues and fines prior to leaving the crew. You will also go before The Council or HELM for inquisition, standing and dismissal.
5. If at 15 years of membership, you
wish to retire, you can. This allows you to wear your patch but no longer pay MDP International dues....you can no longer vote or hold title, but can attend all club meetings and functions. An approval meeting must be held by the Council or HELM to finalize action, and a special patch will be worn.
7. Pirate Chain of Command
Executive board of The Order of Modern Day Pirates and Proud Beauties:
A. International President: Billy D Robertson Ill. This is the only position/title this member can hold and it is a lifetime title unless passed down by the holder. He/she will have a successor in place in the event of his/her demise. The person shall oversee all International Order business. The IP will elect members to assist with the goings on; the IP can select individuals from any crew that exist.
B. International VP: Kevin Gibson, This position can be held by a crew PNP at the same time they will assist the IP in the handling of MDP International Order business
.C. INT SGT AT ARMS: Rocky Cagnoni
D. INT Treasurer: Nathan Robertson
HELM Counsel is the over site and governing body of the Order helping guide the Organiztion though this Journey.
The Helm Counsel will be comprised of upto but never exceeding 33 members. not all Helm will be on the counsel but as members need for what ever reason they can ask to be replaced on the counsel at that time they can suggest a Helm member to take their place and the remaining counsel will be left to select a replacement.
F. Crew leadership is referred to as The Regional Crew Council
G. Each local Council will report to the HELM council a minimum of once a month.
1. Regional Council Captain:
a. To oversee and preside over all crew meetings and business
b. To have general supervision over the Crew
c. To appoint any person or committee not otherwise ordered by the Crew
d. To personally represent the crew on proper occasions
e. To assist all other offices in their duties upon request
f. Should the president become incapable of performing his duties at any time they then fall on the Vice President
2. Council Quartermaster:
a. To take over in the event the president has issues or becomes unable to perform their duties
b. To assist the president in their duties
c. To assist other officers with their duties upon request
3. Council First Mate:
a. To oversee crew business in the event the president and vice president become incapacitated and unable to perform their duties
b. This position can be held by the same person if voted in to place
c. To enforce the articles of conduct and by-laws and to serve fines and punishments for infractions by members
d. The First Mate can select two deputies to assist in the performance of his duties (these are not positions of leadership)
4. Counsel Boatswain
7. MDP Order Collective Properties
A. All crewmembers have complete access to crew property, but must receive consent for use form the council. A request (text or email) stating use dates & purpose is needed.
B. All crew property is to be returned in the same condition or better when used; penalty will suit the infraction and will be decided by the Sergeant at Arms or a minimum of 2 board members.
C. Crew funds will be handled by the treasurer with signers being President & Vice President...no crew funds will be spent without a majority vote of council members except standard recurring cost associated with maintaining the local crew.
D. Each council can decide what items they as a crew might like to buy for general use, for example:
1. Pop up tents
2. Trailers (travel and hauling)
3. Tables, chairs, loaner paintball gear, motorcycles, chase trucks, fishing poles and tackle, boats...etc...
8. In closing:
A. Please understand this is just a starting point; we as a collective will build upon these Articles.
B. I ask that you take the time and go through the Articles and make notes and present them to the HELM Council to consider changes and additions.
NOW IF YOU’RE READY TO FILL OUT YOUR PETITION AND SUBMIT YOUR FEES AND ANNUAL DUES CLICK THE LINK BELOW